vineri, 3 iunie 2011

Interview with Eric Daniels (ex. Asphyx, ex. Soulburn, High Supreme Bloodcourt)

La Baza Gatului: You were with Asphyx almost from the start. What do you remember from that period?
Eric Daniels: Well, that period was the start of death metal. It was new for most people and I can remember that, when we played live, people didn't really understand the vocals. And sound it was different for those days.

La Baza Gatului: Why did, in your opinion, death metal firstly appeared? As a reaction towards what? I am asking you this because you are in the industry for more than 20 years and you certainly understand the phenomenon.
Eric Daniels: Possessed - Seven Churches was, to me, the first real death metal. Between the thrash music those days, it was different according to the vocals. I don't know if it was a reaction to something; I guess it was intended to sound more brutal than thrash music and it finally did, of course. It was just a matter of time and influences.



La Baza Gatului: What kept you in the business for such a long time? What keeps you motivated after all those years?
Eric Daniels: Well, I didn't make music all that period of 20 years, there was also a time of doing nothing and keeping busy with other things in life. However, we have this music in our bones and mind, it's hard to leave it. For me, making music is as important as eating and drinking. Everyday I play that guitar to give myself the feeling I need. Motivation comes when the right piece of song or part of a song fits in.

La Baza Gatului: I hope you don't mind me asking you why did you leave Asphyx? I mean you were part of that endeavor for many years. Anything you could share with us? Is there any chance you come back someday?
Eric Daniels: Asphyx was the greatest part of my life in making music. It was hard to leave, but at that time it was the right choice to do. Regrets always come later, but I am proud about my tiny piece of contribution to this band and it still feels good to be friends with the other guys. Coming back is the most asked question from people. I'm proud of what the guys do, the band is oiled like a machine, and I say never change a winning team.

La Baza Gatului: After Asphyx broke up in 1996, you have also participated in Soulburn, a band highly appreciated when Feeding on Angels was released. What do you remember from that period? Why was Soulburn buried after only one album?
Eric Daniels: We did Soulburn with the meaning of a project. We needed to make music without any pressure about the Asphyx name pinned on it. That's why we could compose on a relaxed way. It has never been the idea to do more than 1 album. After 4 years of not making music it was liberating. We were very excited about the result and that’s why we decided to give Asphyx back life. We also wanted to sound more different than Asphyx, some parts we did, other parts we didn't, but I think it sounds different.



La Baza Gatului: From what I see, you are very passionate with music. Was it hard for you to stay away from the scene?
Eric Daniels: Thank you. At the period I quit it wasn't hard, of course, but at the side-line I read and heard things about the scene. I was still friends with the other members and they told me things of course, like friends do.

La Baza Gatului: I suppose you listen to metal when you’re not playing it :). What is your opinion on the metal scene in general and the Dutch one in special?
Eric Daniels: Of course. Well, I think there is good music, however I have the impression that there is so much metal without the feeling in it. My opinion is that music is an expression, emotional, not only to sound as brutal and fast as possible. It disappoints me that I hear too much of those bands. Holland has a great metal-scene, lots of bands, almost an explosion.

La Baza Gatului: What bands (old and new) do you really like? Dutch too.
Eric Daniels: Massacre, Slaughter, Infernal Majesty, Venom, Hellhammer, Bathory. Dutch: Hail of Bullets, Asphyx.

La Baza Gatului: So I see that you are more into old school death metal somehow. Do you still go to concerts or festivals?
Eric Daniels: Well I like to listen music from the roots, of course I listen to new bands too, but what I mentioned earlier is true, if I hear no emotion in music I drop it. Yes, I go to concerts and festivals. Sometimes I travel along with Asphyx and have a good quality friends time.



La Baza Gatului: What can you tell me about your present musical projects?
Eric Daniels: Well, we just started a new band last year: HIGH SUPREME BLOODCOURT, we finished writing 9 songs, we recorded drums and guitars already for 5 songs. It sounds incredible, the pieces fit together, pure doom/death.

La Baza Gatului: That was going to be my next question. So who do you play with in High Supreme Bloodcourt? Do you already have a record deal? When will we be able to listen to the material?
Eric Daniels: However, there are members of Asphyx in it. We definitely think it sounds different, but that's also the decision of people who will hear it. We are busy with record deals, but we first have to finish the recordings, then we will decide which company it will be. I can't give a right time when it's finished, but we are gonna record soon all the remaining songs.

La Baza Gatului: I also know that you are passionate with gear: guitars, basses, amplifiers, etc. What is your current gear? I also know that you usually don't like stuff modified. Is that true?
Eric Daniels: Yes it is. I only use stuff not being modified. My current equipment is perhaps too long to mention here, but I play BC Rich and DBZ guitars. Of course, there are some adjustments, but that’s for personal taste. All my effects I tweaked them together to 1 basic rhythm sound. I’m not pinned to amps. I can get my sound from every amp, the sound is in the effects I use. It gives more freedom in the brands of amps and amps to use.



La Baza Gatului: Before saying goodbye I would like you to tell me something about your future plans.
Eric Daniels: Ok, we are going to finish recording the songs for High Supreme Bloodcourt. Then we will sign with a record-company and are planning to do live-gigs. That's the idea.

La Baza Gatului: Well, thank you very much for this nice chat. I wish you all the best in the future. Please keep me posted with news from High Supreme Bloodcourt. The final words are yours.
Eric Daniels: Ok Sake, thanks for doing this interview. My thanks and greetings to the fans that kept supporting me even when I wasn't there. YOU RULE!! Keep brutal! Cheerz & Greetz!


http://thekrusher.hyves.nl/
http://www.myspace.com/ericdanielstcou

Niciun comentariu: