vineri, 10 iunie 2011

Interview with Patrick Mameli (Pestilence)

La Baza Gatului: When did you start playing music and when did you realize that this was going to be your “path”?
Patrick Mameli: I think I was 4 years old and I knew I was going to be a rockstar hahahah....In 1986 I started Pestilence and now we're in 2011 and still going strong with Doctrine. Amazing how my life is going.

La Baza Gatului: On the first two albums of the band, Martin Van Drunen was behind the mic, while you performed both the guitar and the bass parts. When did you make the decision of becoming the vocalist of Pestilence and why?
Patrick Mameli: I was already singing on the first 2 demos so I felt really comfortable in using my voice as an instrument. Martin was just very unprofessional and an alcoholic back then, that I had to fire him. We still are not on speaking terms because he's still ignorant to his past.

La Baza Gatului: Some people consider Pestilence to be a cult band. What does, in your opinion, make a band become a cult band? Do you see Pestilence as a cult band for the death metal scene?
Patrick Mameli: I really see Pestilence as a strong brand with lots of potential and a true style. A cult band is a band that stands out and I really think we do stand out!


(Promo Photo by Stefan Schipper)

La Baza Gatului: Starting with Testimony of the Ancients and, later on, with Spheres, your music took a more technical, experimental turn? Since you are the composer of Pestilence’s music, could you tell me what made you pursue that path?
Patrick Mameli: I guess that I’ve always wanted to be unique and different about music and composing. I really value the way I think about song structure and have always tried to find people with equal knowledge and talent to reproduce my music.
I don't know why I do what I do, but it's my destiny to try to be the best I can be in what I do: playing extreme music!

La Baza Gatului: Is it true that this courageous, avangardistic approach on music deteriorated your relationship with Roadrunner Records and determined some of the fans to turn their backs on Pestilence?
Patrick Mameli: Yes, it really did. I felt a prisoner under this contract and tried to get out of it by making an unpopular album called Spheres, to frustrate Roadrunner.

La Baza Gatului: Have you ever thought that maybe the people back then were not prepared for your music, that maybe Pestilence was ahead of its time?
Patrick Mameli: It's always sad for an artist to be misunderstood and this is what happened with Pestilence. But we face the same problem with Doctrine. Some people just don't get it.



La Baza Gatului: 1993 was a strange year in music, with some albums that could have lead to the demise of the death metal scene as we knew it (I’m thinking about Pestilence – Spheres, Atheist – Elements, Cynic – Focus, Morgoth - Odium). What do you think happened?
Patrick Mameli: Just an overflow of death metal presented to the masses, which created a sort of numbness that almost caused the death of our genre.

La Baza Gatului: There was a 16 years break Between Spheres and Resurrection Macabre. What did you do all this time? Was it hard for you to stay away from the music scene?
Patrick Mameli: It was great to stay away from the bullshit, the whining, the constant criticism of the scene and shit like that. People don't realize what a band has to go through to get a deal, to record and to release. And then to be puked out by so called death metal fans!
Just read blabbermouth and you will understand goddamned!!

La Baza Gatului: On Resurrection Macabre, Tony Choy took care of the bass parts, while Peter Wildoer was behind the drum kit. Why didn’t you keep them on Doctrine also?
Patrick Mameli: Because this line up is so much better for Pestilence. Without logistic problems or money issues.



La Baza Gatului: What idea did you have in mind when started to compose Doctrine? Do you tend to plan things, or would you rather let them evolve naturally?
Patrick Mameli: Everything I do is a natural progression from my musical past. Doctrine is a natural progression from everything I have done in the past.

La Baza Gatului: What can you tell me about the lyrical concept of your latest studio album? Would you mind making a short track by track presentation?
Patrick Mameli: We really want to have people create their own opinion about the lyrics, so I don't want to comment on those!!!

La Baza Gatului: Doctrine is, probably, the best produced/mixed Pestilence album ever. Who took care of the job?
Patrick Mameli: It's actually one of the best produced death albums of all times!!! V. Santura is the bad boy!!! Of course I produced the album again myself to preserve the Pestilence sound and style.



La Baza Gatului: If we would meet in a record store and I have money to buy only one album, how would you convince me to buy Doctrine?
Patrick Mameli: Not, I want you to give me the money so can go to Mac D. to buy me a Double Bacon Cheese Burger Menu with a big Sprite!

La Baza Gatului: If you were a journalist, how would you rate it (on a scale from 1 to 10) and why?
Patrick Mameli: I would give it a 9 because the new Pestilence (Unfriend) album needs a 10!!

La Baza Gatului: I know you have two sons (which are very funny, from what I saw on Facebook). Provided they understand what their daddy does for a living and you let them listen to your music, what is their opinion about Pestilence?
Patrick Mameli: I wish they would continue Pestilence for me and create new brutal sounds for the masses. One can only hope for the best!!!



La Baza Gatului: I heard you are a big fan of football. One of my fellow countrymen, Mihai Nesu, who is a player for FC Utrecht, recently suffered a serious injury that could lead to him remain paralyzed. Have you heard this story?
Patrick Mameli: Yes and it was just a practice and I feel so sorry for him and I pray for his health.

La Baza Gatului: What is your opinion about the death metal scene? What new albums drew your attention lately?
Patrick Mameli: I think we need to go back to the purity of death metal and its scene. I'm waiting for the new Dim Mak!!!!!!

La Baza Gatului: What are your future plans?
Patrick Mameli: Hopefully play some more shows and get the Pestilence point across!!



La Baza Gatului: Is there anything you’d like to ask me about my country?
Patrick Mameli: Yeah, what place I really need to visit in Romania?

La Baza Gatului: Thank you very much for your time and kindness in making this interview. The final words are yours.
Patrick Mameli: We love Romania so much and we hope to come there really soon!
Peace to Romania!!!!

www.pestilence.nl
www.myspace.com/pestilenceofficial

Niciun comentariu: